Sunday, September 04, 2005

During these times, when the live's of many are boiled down to hoping for a bite to eat, I wonder about the stresses in my own life - do they have any worth in comparison? Of course, my first nature is to think - NO! How could they possibly have any value when measured with the type of human suffering found around the world, as well as in our own backyard (the gulf states). But if I think that way, do I devalue my own life...doesn't everything in our lives matter to God, regadless of how big or small? If God loves us each equally, then my sorrows are no lesser in His eyes. The question comes to me, because I have a friend most likely to die of cancer before the year is out. I also suffer bouts of depression on and off, as a result of two major losses in my life - my son and a terrific friend who taught me the true value of selflessness and the joy of giving to others. I have been belittling myself for my feelings, as when I look at what has happened due to Hurrican Katrina, I feel I have no right to my own pettiness. But then, don't I put down what God has given me - feelings and my own pathways through life? I think there is room for both in my life - to love and feel, and help others, as well as not denying that which composes the total of who I am. Perhaps there is a richess in sorrow, that I can know my own self and sorrows, yet still have emotional compassion and actions to help others. "Love thy neighbor as thyself." God did not say, "love thy neighbor forsaking thyself." Yes, I guess there is room in all times for all our feelings, and that God makes room for all. Peace to you all.

No comments: