Monday, September 12, 2005

Tonight is a dreamy time for me. This feeling seems so out of place. Perhaps it is really fatigue - if so, it is a pleasant place to be.

Tonight I did a home visit with another church member. We went to visit an elderly gentleman from our congregation. I sort of went thinking maybe this visit would help him, but instead, I came away helped. He told us his story, shared his life's joys (his wife) and his sorrows (her death eight years ago). When he spoke of her, his eyes lit up - eyes I have never met before. This wonderful man was becoming more than some elderly individual "I could help." He became a person, with a story, a life (a beautiful life), whose heart was broken when the love of his life went to join God. I left this visit with tears in my heart. However, not the tears of pity, not sorrowing for this gentleman, rather, tears of life, of the stories we each hold, which make us unique, which make us real. My heart has been richened, a gift given to me. I will never look at this individual the same, as now I will smile for his life, as life which made him special.

Yes, it is a dreamy night. How rich I am - husband, children, grandchildren, awesome friends, and now a new friend, one who in one hour taught me strength and a love which surpasses all time. Good night.

No comments: