Saturday, September 24, 2005

Life can hit hard when it chooses. I have a sister who lives in Texas. We have seen each other 5 times in the past 30 years. We did not converse much either. I am not a phone person and our upbringing was not conducive to developing a close knit family structure. Yes, I was aware my sister had some mental health issues, but nothing that would hinder her having a semi-normal life. My sister’s son just went into the Navy and he was hoping his mother would move back to New England, so she could be closer to her siblings. When broached about her coming to live up north (she is presently living in Texas), I agreed she could come here to live for a while, until we could find her some decent low income housing - she is on disability, as she was infected with hepatitis C via a blood transfusion some 30 years ago, and her liver is in bad shape. I was also aware she was having seizures, but did not know they were spontaneous drop seizures. Well, I received a call Thursday night from a case worker assigned to help her with transportation to doctors and whatever needs she might have. The case worker informed me that my sister needed to move up here soon. I asked why?, as the room she will have is not yet presentable for habitation. I was told she was being thrown out because she does not have any money to pay bills, and that her cable and phone had been cut off and her electricity would be next. I asked what was going on and why she was having problems paying her bills. Well, here comes the punch to the gut - basically, I was told she was incapable of managing her money. I said, “WHAT!!!???” I was then informed of her financial nightmares. I then asked if she was capable of living on her own and was told no, that she actually could use a residential setting. My brain became scorched by the intensity of what I was being told. My sister not only had mental health issues, she is obviously VERY mentally ill. I am still trying to digest this information. No one ever told us this reality. I guess I was just too blind to see the many hospitalizations for what they were. Many people become hospitalized with mental health issues, but it does not mean they can not live on their own - but in this case, it does. I am not sure I am ready for this. My sister is 56 years old. My memories are of childhood, not of a mentally ill adult. How am I to take care of her? I have to find a case manager really quick. I have to make sure I can access a psychiatrist immediately to see her and hopefully a therapist, as this assessment needs to happen ASAP. I need to find a medical doctor to monitor her liver and medications. I..I..I. Scary word “I”. She is my older sister and it is going to be difficult to have to become a parent figure. I feel anger. I am angry, because part of her diagnosis is human induced - a mother who failed to love her children, she loved two and tremendously disliked one, and hated another. However, I figure the mother was sick too, so it leaves little room to be angry with her, so what does one do with the anger??? No, not looking for an answer... I hate below the belt punches.

No comments: