Saturday, October 29, 2005

Below are two clips of work I had been writing. Both are incomplete, but both below. The first clip was written during the time Clyde lay waiting to die, and the second is the opening statement of a eulogy for Clyde who is now in a much better world.

Clip One
I was thinking today about the loss of my friend and soul mate, Kerryl. We had known each other for 35 years, meeting in high school during out sophomore year. Kerryl was an exceptional alto, and was selected for the elite acapella choir at our school. She was also intellectually a genius - yes, she scored off the charts. I was part of the regular choir, and for some reason, Kerryl, so absolutely popular, took a liking to me, the school nobody. It was not a planned thing, and neither of us could explain it, rather, it just happened, as if it was something preordained by a higher power. Whatever the reason it worked. Kerryl made me try out for the vocal group and I made it. That sealed whatever God’s will was for us, as we were together a couple of days most every week of our lives until April, 4th 2002, when she suffered a severe heart attack, while dancing at a friend’s birthday party. Not a moment’s suffering - she fell and was gone, and my suffering began.
Any way, of course, Clyde’s pending death, brings Kerry’s death to the forefront of my heart and mind. Not that it causes me to mourn Kerryl more. I will mourn Kerryl forever, just as will I celebrate her life forever. However, it brings to thought the changes in my life since then. Other than Kerryl and my immediate family - husband, children - I had no real friends. In most ways, neither did Kerryl. Our lives were interwoven so deep, it is as if we were Siamese twins in both spirit and body. I guess, psychologically, our relationship was so interdependent, it was mentally unsound. But how would we know? How could we, until the loss of one almost took the loss of the life of the other. It took a very caring therapist, passionate and dedicated work, to walk one so lonely through that desperate, friendless, frightening, grieving time, and still holds the hand, for one nevertheless sadly limps along.

Clip Two - the beginning of the eulogy spoken for Clyde:
I asked God last night what he would want me to say in behalf of Clyde. I think He told me I had to find that in myself. Here is what I found, and I hope these words find meaning for you as well. I would like to start with the words, “Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me Your paths.” Psalm 25:4
Loving someone is never easy, whether it be siblings, marriage, or friendship. Though we all take that journey of love, for each of us, it is the road less traveled, as it is our individual journey. Clyde was no ordinary man. Clyde’s road with myself and my husband was of friendship - laughter, intellectually stimulating and politically rowdy conversations, being silly at picnics, in the pool, doing favors for each other, laughing at snowflakes, because they were piling up so fast, if you didn’t laugh, you’d have to cry. We shared and embraced all the pathways friendship could take us. But the hikes I loved the most were the unique ones only Clyde could guide you on, as Clyde was about the natural love of nature and the wonder of all God’s creations. Yes, ALL God’s creations, especially the natural underdogs.

No comments: